Many bottoms today refer to themselves as slaves, without knowing what being a slave means in BDSM and Old Guard Leather. In this article we’ll describe and explain what a slave is in Old Guard Leather and what are the differences between a slave, a boy and a sub.
Who is a slave in Old Guard Leather?
An Old Guard slave is a human being who have always felt close to being complete and having peace and content in its heart when being in service. Wether to a man or a woman, whatever its sexuality, being a slave means being a special, intelligent and sensitive individual who has accomplished an introspective path of self knowledge and self growth, and is ready to freely decide to give up its freedom for complete Ownership to another individual, making this last individual (MASTER/MISTRESS) and his/her happiness and fulfillment and success the very core of its essence and goals.
What does it mean to be a slave
Being a slave means being the last of the last in the Hierarchy Chain in the Leather and BDSM space, and yet, it doesn’t mean it must be treated with little to no Respect. On the contrary, a slave is an Owned Property that per se must be Respected, but also an individual who must be respected as it has taken the deepest token of self acceptance and dedicated its life to the servitude to us Alphas. Human life has an immense value, therefor a human gifting its own life in service to another individual, is something to be praised and celebrated and respected, as it is the very core of our way of living. Last but not least: “slave” is a title, and like all titles in Leather Culture, it is earned. So, a slave should always be respected; treating a slave as a slave, is part of the respect that is due to it, as it has to do with respecting its identity.
A slave, to be defined such:
- it has undergone the training of one or many more Masters and has been its limits expanded and worked over to its own realization that in a true trust relationship there are no limits set in stone, when the MASTER can be trusted
- it has understood the meaning of commitment and has freely decided to give up its freedom, gaining in return energy, happiness, content, comfort and satisfaction. A slave is never forced to slavery; it desires and yearns for slavery.
- It doesn’t have the right to be called by any other title if not “slave” or “it”, unless its Master decides a specific other appellative like a Slave Registration Number. It is always “it”.
- its life must be led by two purposes only:
- sustaining to maximum efficiency its life (its body and its mental health & physical health). A valuable slave is kept in good health and good shape; this doesn’t mean being pretty. It means being functional.
- the complete and total servitude and service to its Master or any other Man for the matter, if allowed.
- Just as much as a Master does, a real slave have earned its title.
- it doesn’t have expectations, if not to live as a slave and be treated as such.
- it doesn’t need to have any specific need fulfilled, if not providing service in any way it is allowed to, and for its health to be well kept.
- As much as it needs its Master to express satisfaction and to value it, it is capable of not putting its needs first and should not need to try an satisfy its own needs. It’s the Master’s job to keep those needs fulfilled.
- it doesn’t get to touch or sit on furniture without explicit permission.
- it doesn’t get to stand on its feet with men unless told so.
- it doesn’t get to use the toilet without explicit permission, during High and Low Protocol.
- it cannot touch any of the Master’s properties without explicit permission, unless for well settled routines where permissions have been previously granted for that situation (cleaning and tidying up and other chores).
- it doesn’t put its needs before it’s Master’s. Never.
- it needs to be put in service and to be controlled; it will adapt its needs to the possibilities of its Master, and find joy in the possibility of living its lifestyle to the fullest, in the path of it’s Master; not in the paths it fantasized about.
- it is ready and willing to be reprogrammed and rewired, to become it’s Master “masterpiece” and creation.
- it is willing to take and enjoy pain from it’s Master.
- it is willing to take and enjoy a Superior’s recycled drinks and smoke, when it is lucky enough to be gifted with them.
Master’s and any other Dom’s sperm is the most sacred and powerful substance, immediately followed by Master’s and any other Dom’s piss. It knows it is not entitled to have it and that is reserved for other Men and boys to enjoy. When and if it will ever be gifted with it, it should show freely its enthusiasm and comprehension of the proportions of the goodness it has been granted with.
- it is willing and enjoys being kept away when not in use, in idle mode.
- it is interested in proactively provide improvement of any kind to Master’s household, when prompted with tasks or asked for suggestions.
- it never stop learning new things, when it has the occasion. Those are more ways it can be useful to Men.
- it does not need to be anything else than what it is, but is willing to be transformed into ANYTHING its Master wants to.
- it understands that just like an other human being it has flaws and things to learn and change and correct, and should never sin in being stubborn, presumptuous, cocky or full of itself. It will always stay humble and follow the Leaders.
- it is not necessarily involved in Sessions; it’s job might consist in just assisting the Master or the subs or just cater, and then clean up everything when the Session is over.
Being a slave in a Long Term Relationship
In an LTR (Long Term Relationship), ideally, being a slave means having no possessions of any kind, and being its life and its Master’s joined, it will give everything it has and earns to the household. The same treatment is passively reserved to it. It lives in the household, it is part of the household, and can benefit of the comfort of it in the ways depicted by its Master, and will therefor be kept protected by its rights. It will obey its MASTER in any circumstance, always.
Only in this dynamic, when the relationship is fueled by love, commitment, respect and trust, Financial Domination should be considered as a possibility. Financial Domination (FinDom) outside of an LTR, is simply a celebrated form of online fraud.
Does a slave have rights in Old Guard Leather?
As long as the tradition of Old Guard is involved, a slave has no rights, as its own bill of rights has been previously agreed in a Contract it signed during an Official Ceremony. In our Houselhold, we do have a slave’s bill of rights which is the following.
- it has the right to be treated with respect by strangers and those who are outside of its pack, if they are not Masters or not within the Leather-space, or when consent is not given.
- it has the right to be kept safe during any activity in which it cannot do so (downtime, bondage, service..).
- it has the right to interrupt service at any time, but this equals permanent interruption of being seen and treated as a slave.
- it has the right not to be harassed or mocked psychologically, physically or emotionally for this decision; yet, it is a decision from which there is no turning back.
- it has the right to be brought to an Hospital or to a Health Care provider ASAP if it is feeling sick or depressed.
- it has the right to spend at the very least one hour per week in connection to its Master. Wether through conversation, sleeping together, cuddling, whatever is set in the relationship. A slave is a human being and should be taken care of emotionally and be kept happy.
- it has the right to be milked at least once every 3 months. A Master can decide to milk its slave directly or indirectly even more than once a day, or with whichever schedule the Master sees fit, but never retaining the slave from shooting its blank null sperm for more than 3 months.
- it has the right for its health to be taken care of, depending on its health conditions: visits to Medics, pharmacies, medications, therapies. All of this must always be respected.
- it has the right to be loved.
- it has the right to be protected by the rest of the Old Guard community in the case it needs protection from another member of the Community.
Who is not a slave:
- A bottom or a woman who just wants to be used sexually.
- A bottom or a woman who just wants to be raped or has similar fantasies and needs.
- A bottom or a woman who just loves dick and wants to get as much as it can.
- A bottom or a woman who craves only big dicks or young dicks.
- A bottom or a woman who just loves dick and being a slut and to be put in the middle of a tag team scene or a gangbang. That’s all great and fun. But that’s not being a slave. That’s being a slut.
- A bottom or a woman who just wants to get the more loads possible in their orifices. Again, thumbs up for being a cockslut, that’s awesome. That’s not being a slave.
- A bottom or a woman who think they can discuss and decide to which level to submit, to whom, when, how and why. That’s a right of a human being of course, who freely chooses not to be a slave. A submissive bottom, a sub, a boy, a pony, a dog, whatever else.
- A bottom or a woman who think they can be a slave part time. For a weekend. For a while.
- A bottom or a woman who thinks they have no value and should therefor be treated badly.
- A bottom or a woman who think that this way they have no responsibilities of any kind, willing to blame the “Master” the morning after to compensate.
- A bottom or a woman who just hunt for tops to use for their needs to serve.
- A bottom or a woman who gets off on abusive Dominants stereotypes, and complain that nowadays there are no Doms or “real men” anymore. Except, when they are treated as they dream of and ask for, they become aggressive and reclaim the right to be treated with respect, treating a Leather Master like a monster.
This list could continue forever, and will likely be updated.
For all of the above, there are plenty of ways to accomplish what you like, and I don’t judge or blame you for liking it. It’s great that everybody knows what they like and want. Having said that, as much as you have the freedom to have your ways and your thoughts over lifestyle and sexuality, that same freedom is given to other people, who don’t want their time to be wasted, and who are looking for a deep, life-changing LTR.
Nowadays BDSM has become an accessory, associated with kink, to freely expand the general crowd’s sexual horizons (or sometimes, to narrow them down in very symplicistic understandings of kink and BDSM); it’s very common to talk to bottoms who advertise themselves as slaves, while not having even a pale shade of submission in them. The same applies to many people calling themselves Masters or Mistresses, while simply being a top, or many times, simply a person with a lot of insecurities to pamper.
Being a slave is the most extremely serious life calling and path a man (or a woman for that matter) can take; slaves are honored by Old Guard Leathermen by being recognized as such, and treated exactly as they need to be treated, in order to feel complete, happy and free.
Does being a slave go beyond the sexual role?
Yes, being a slave is about identity and it affects 24/7 all aspects of the mindset towards life; a true "slave" knows it is allowed to shine thanks to BDSM and live its life fully in that aspects, and that has to put up with "civilian" life for work and family commitments.
Can one be forced into slavery?
No. That's not BDSM, as it's not based on consent, so it's abusive. Many submissives have the fantasy of a consensual agreement to be forced into situations and actions, but that's also a behavior to refuse. It's deceptive and dangerous, and most of all, doesn't allow the full self growth of the submissve, who is always doing things "because it has to".
What differentiates a boy from a sub from a slave?
A boy might be a Dominant or a submissive, and it's a specific title in the Leather Community, which wether depicts someone who has just joined the community and is learning the ropes, or a person identifying as a submissive into hyperpolarized relationships, but not to the extent of slavery.
Being a sub is a general umbrella term to indicate that one's identity (even just the sexual one) is the one of a submissive. Being a slave, is an entire dedication of one's full life to service and being the last one in the hierarchy.
Why are there so many few real slaves?
For the same reason the are so very few real Masters; being a slave and being a Master entail a full life-long dedication to a belief system and identity, both requiring high doses of work and responsibility. In today's narcissistic and self-centered vision of life and relationships, it's very hard for people to even come close to have what it takes to be a Master or a slave.